Skip to main content

Not Every Old-Looking Paper Is an Old Document!

 


One advantage of being a "postman" is that I deliver interesting messages. One disadvantage is that I also must check whether the parcel contains facts—or fiction!

The image above has been making the rounds on WhatsApp. It claims to be the original India–Pakistan Partition Agreement dated 15 August 1947, complete with signatures of Jawaharlal Nehru and Liaquat Ali Khan.

At first glance, it looks impressive. Old paper, official-looking seal, signatures, serial number—everything appears authentic. But appearances can be deceptive.

Historians point out that this is not an original historical document. The actual Partition of India was carried out under the Indian Independence Act, 1947, passed by the British Parliament, along with decisions of the Partition Council and the Mountbatten Plan. There was no single agreement paper in this format signed on Independence Day.

Here are a few genuine facts about Partition:

India and Pakistan became independent on 15 August 1947 and 14 August 1947, respectively. The boundary between the two countries was drawn by Sir Cyril Radcliffe, a British lawyer who had never visited India before. He was given barely five weeks to divide one of the world's largest populations. Ironically, Radcliffe left India immediately after completing his work and is said never to have returned.

The human cost of Partition was enormous. It is estimated that 10 to 15 million people crossed the new borders, making it one of the largest migrations in recorded history. Tragically, hundreds of thousands also lost their lives in the communal violence that followed.

As I continue my duties as your friendly "postman," I have made one personal rule: Before I ring your doorbell with a message, I first check whether the parcel contains truth or merely attractive wrapping. After all, in today's digital world, fake news travels at the speed of light. Truth, unfortunately, still prefers to walk!

My Take: WhatsApp is a wonderful messenger, but not every forwarded message deserves another forwarding. Sometimes the most useful button on our phone is not "Forward" but "Verify."


Comments